The Red Door Ministry provides a wide variety of outreach ministries to the greater Somerville and surrounding communities. The need is great, and there is always room for you to lend your time, gifts, and talents as we “seek to serve Christ in all persons, loving our neighbor as ourselves.” (Book of Common Prayer, page 305)
- The Clothes Closet serves families in need by providing new and gently used clothing donations. We are open the first and third Saturdays of every month.
- Baptismal Blankets are given to families of newly baptized babies. Contact the Parish Office for more information.
- Nursery Blankets are delivered to the nursery at Robert Wood Johnson/Somerset Medical Hospital. Contact the Parish Office for more information.
Other Ministries at St. John’s
- Meals-to-Go takes place on Saturdays from 9-10. We serve families in need as well as people who have a current need due to illness, caregiving, family changes (loss of a loved one, arrival of a newborn) to come and pick up a meal to take home. Meals are provided in plastic containers generously donated by the Branchburg Rotary and the menu changes weekly. To find out more, contact the Parish Office for more information.
- Laundry Love is a ministry that serves around thirty local community members at Somerville Express Wash Laundry, 20 Division Street, Somerville. A representative of the ministry is at the laundromat every second and fourth Thursday at 5 p.m. to hand out pre-bagged supplies and $10 in quarters up to eight people per week. Supplies of laundry detergent and dryer sheets, as well as rolls of quarters, are welcomed! Contact Paul Grzella for more information.
- Matthew 25 Ministries collects empty prescription bottles. These bottles are used to hold prescription drugs donated by pharmaceutical companies (they provide drugs in bulk containers) that are shipped in bulk to areas affected by disasters. Contact Judy Marine.
- Loose Change is a ministry that collects loose change from the alms basin at the Sunday services on the first Sunday of the month. These funds go to the Discretionary Fund, which provides temporary assistance to members of the community in need. Contact Andrea Dalrymple for more information.